Friday, April 30, 2010

Split between BEING a CT and WANTING to be a TL

Ive just finished reading the Todd article " The dynamics of classroom teacher and teacher librarian instructional collaborations" ( Scan Vol27 No2 May 2008) and can't believe I'm actually compelled to BLOG something on a Friday evening  at 9:30pm!!
My understanding from reading the summary of the ILILE program ( trying to be clever - it actually stands for Institute for Library and Information Literacy Education) reasearch in Ohio 2002 -2005 is that the DIFFERENCES between CTs and TLs with regards to the benefit of collaboration for THEMSELVES as Professionals is somewhat different.
Let me just clarify at this stage that I am a CT but want to be a TL so forgive me if I upset anyone!
I may possibly read this again tomorrow and edit it out (it's been a loong day) but I have to get these ideas out:
  • I found it very sad to consider the idea  that T/Ls have a LONG way to go before they personally and professionally  recognise  themselves as ESSENTIAL to student learning - the responses frm the research regularly referred to collaboration with CTs as being an avenue to FINALLY promote their expertise rather than a celebration of  being an equal partner in achieving outcomes with CTs.
  • "Misadventures and unexpected interruptions" is a trademark of my School. The reality is that Schools are VERY busy places and unless we are able to work together and  be FLEXIBLE with timetabling we will continue to skim over the surface of  outcomes so that we can "tick the box"  rather than encouraging our chn  to think more deeply thus encouraging info literacy skills.
  • Thinking "outside the box" with relation to problems associated with collaboration is ESSENTIAL - we are all busy but share a common goal so let's just get on with it and MAKE IT WORK!
  • p23  of the article referred to one of the benefits of collaboration for  CT is that their "eyes were opened " to the roles and responsibilities of the TL within a school.  This VERY much reflects my own learning at this point - I had not spent any length of time with our TL except to ask for resources until I started this Course. A GREAT personal learning discovery for me!
Signing off! God knows whether this will make sense in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. It makes sense :)
    Having a similar thought process. TLs are very undervalued by their colleagues, but then again CTs are very undervalues by society. Six of one, half of a dozen scenario.
    Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete